The German Panther Tank was developed in 1942 to fight the T-34 medium tanks of the Soviets. Daimler-Benz and M.A.N. were initially tasked to produce a tank that weighed 35 tons, had a maximum speed of 60 km/h, and equipped with a Maybach HL210 V-type 12-cylinder engine. Various improvements to the Panther were done throughout WWII. The Ausf.D was the very first variant of the German Panther Tank. It was a complete package which featured an L/70 7.5cm gun, a sloped armor, and maneuverability because of its 700hp gasoline engine. A total of 840 Ausf.D Panthers were manufactured between January and September of 1943. It first saw action in the battlefield during the Battle of Kursk in the same year.