The German Panther Tank was developed in 1942 to fight the T-34 medium tanks of the Soviets. Daimler-Benz and M.A.N. were tasked to produce a tank that weighed 35 tons, had a maximum speed of 60 km/h, and equipped with a Maybach HL210 V-type 12-cylinder engine. The earlier version of the Panther initially had a 60 mm thick front hull, 35 mm thick rear and 100 mm thick at the front of the gun turret. However, it experienced 2 major changes in terms of weight and armor later that same year. The Panzerkampfwagen V was first deployed in 1943. It featured sloped armor plates and was then powered by a 700ps Maybach HL20P30 4-stroke V12 gasoline engine. This engine allowed it to run at a maximum speed of 55 km/h while armed with a 70-caliber 7.5 cm long-barreled tank gun.